WordPress 3.6 Beta 1 is now out there!
That is software program nonetheless in growth and we actually don’t suggest that you simply run it on a manufacturing website — arrange a take a look at website simply to play with the brand new model. To check WordPress 3.6, strive the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (you’ll need “bleeding edge nightlies”). Or you’ll be able to download the beta here (zip).
We’ve been working for practically three months and have accomplished all of the options which can be slated for this launch. It is a little bit of a change from the betas of earlier launch cycles. I felt very strongly that we shouldn’t launch a beta if we had been nonetheless engaged on finishing the primary options. This beta is truly a beta, not an alpha that we’re calling a beta. In case you are a WordPress plugin or theme developer, or a WordPress internet hosting supplier, you must completely begin testing your code in opposition to this new model now. Extra bugs shall be mounted, and a number of the options will get polished, however we’re not going to shove in some large new function. We’re prepared so that you can take a look at it, so bounce in there! The extra you take a look at the beta, the extra steady our launch candidates and our closing launch shall be.
As all the time, if you happen to assume you’ve discovered a bug, you’ll be able to put up to the Alpha/Beta area within the assist boards. Or, if you happen to’re comfy writing a reproducible bug report, file one on the WordPress Trac. There, you can even discover a list of known bugs and everything we’ve fixed up to now.
Right here’s what’s new in 3.6:
- Publish Codecs: Publish Codecs now have their very own UI, and theme authors have entry to templating capabilities to entry the structured information.
- Twenty 13: We’re delivery this 12 months’s default theme in our first launch of the 12 months. Twenty 13 is an opinionated, color-rich, blog-centric theme that makes full use of the brand new Publish Codecs assist.
- Audio/Video: You’ll be able to embed audio and video information into your posts with out counting on a plugin or a 3rd celebration media internet hosting service.
- Autosave: Posts are actually autosaved regionally. In case your browser crashes, your pc dies, or the server goes offline as you’re saving, you gained’t lose the your put up.
- Publish Locking: See when somebody is at the moment modifying a put up, and kick them out of it in the event that they go to sleep on the keyboard.
- Nav Menus: Nav menus have been simplified with an accordion-based UI, and a separate tab for bulk-assigning menus to places.
- Revisions: The all-new revisions UI options avatars, a slider that “scrubs” by historical past, and two-slider vary comparisons.
Builders: You make WordPress superior(er). One of many issues we try to do with each launch is be appropriate with current plugins and themes. However we want your assist. Please take a look at your plugins and themes in opposition to 3.6. If one thing isn’t fairly proper, please tell us. (Likelihood is, it wasn’t intentional.) Should you’re a forward-thinking theme developer, you need to be implementing the brand new Publish Format assist in a few of your themes (look to Twenty 13 for inspiration).
We’re trying ahead to your suggestions. Should you break it (i.e. discover a bug), please report it, and if you happen to’re a developer, attempt to assist us repair it. We’ve already had greater than 150 contributors to model 3.6 — it’s not too late to hitch the celebration!