It looks like simply yesterday that we launched WordPress 3.1, but it surely’s truly been nearly three months. We’ve spent that point placing collectively a brand new launch targeted on efficiency enhancements, and are prepared for our first beta testers!
As all the time, that is software program nonetheless in improvement and we don’t advocate that you simply run it on a manufacturing web site — arrange a take a look at web site simply to play with the brand new model. In case you break it (discover a bug), please report it, and in case you’re a developer, attempt to assist us repair it.
If all goes effectively, we hope to launch WordPress 3.2 by the top of June, although that’s (once more, as all the time) topic to alter relying on how the beta interval goes. The extra assist we get with testing and fixing bugs, the earlier we can launch the ultimate model. If you wish to be a beta tester, it is best to try the Codex article on how to report bugs.
Right here’s a few of what’s new:
- Efficiency enhancements such as you wouldn’t imagine. What’s that imply? Issues are quicker!
- Distraction-free Writing. The visible editor’s full-screen composing expertise has gotten a serious overhaul, and is now out there from HTML mode, too. Greater than ever, WordPress lets you concentrate on what issues most — your content material.
- Admin UI Refresh. The final main redesign of the WordPress admin was in 2008. This isn’t a serious redesign, just a bit facelift to maintain us feeling younger. WordPress turns 8 later this month, you recognize.
- New Default Theme. Introducing Twenty Eleven, based mostly on the favored Duster theme. Rotating header pictures, put up format assist, and extra.
- Browse Happy. WordPress is made to work with trendy browsers. In case you go to your Dashboard utilizing an outdated internet browser, we’ll let you recognize there’s a more moderen model out there.
- Admin Bar. We’ve added extra hyperlinks to the admin bar to make it much more helpful.
- WordPress has new minimal system necessities: PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.
- Web Explorer 6 will not be supported.
- The favorites menu has been eliminated. In case you’ve written any plugins that use this menu, it’s time to modify over to an admin bar placement.
- We haven’t up to date the blue admin coloration scheme but, so do your testing within the grey zone for finest outcomes.
Bear in mind, in case you discover one thing you assume is a bug, report it! You may carry it up within the alpha/beta forum, you’ll be able to electronic mail it to the wp-testers list, or in case you’ve confirmed that different individuals are experiencing the identical bug, you’ll be able to report it on the WordPress Core Trac. (I like to recommend beginning within the discussion board or on the mailing checklist.)
Theme and plugin authors, in case you haven’t been following the three.2 improvement cycle, please begin now so that you could replace your themes and plugins to be suitable with the latest model of WordPress.
Be aware to builders: WordPress is constructed by the contributions of tons of of builders. In case you’d prefer to see this launch come out on time, I encourage you to pitch in. Even in case you don’t have time to do testing on the beta model, you can assist us by contributing a repair for one of many many bugs we already learn about.