I need to make you mine, on a regular basis… oh wait. Howdy. I’m right here on behalf of your entire WordPress growth crew and group to announce the instant availability of WordPress version 2.9 “Carmen” named in honor of magical jazz vocalist Carmen McRae (whom we’ve added to our Last.fm WP release station). You may improve simply out of your Dashboard by going to Instruments > Improve, or you’ll be able to download from WordPress.org. And naturally, it wouldn’t be a serious launch with no brief video summarizing among the cool issues in regards to the new model:
The good new stuff from a consumer standpoint is:
- International undo/”trash” characteristic, which implies that in the event you by chance delete a publish or remark you’ll be able to carry it again from the grave (i.e., the Trash). This additionally eliminates these annoying “are you certain” messages we used to have on each delete.
- Constructed-in picture editor means that you can crop, edit, rotate, flip, and scale your photographs to indicate them who’s boss. That is the primary wave of our many deliberate media-handling enhancements.
- Batch plugin replace and compatibility checking, which suggests you’ll be able to replace 10 plugins without delay, versus having to do a number of clicks for every one, and we’re utilizing the brand new compatibility knowledge from the plugins listing to provide you a greater thought of whether or not your plugins are appropriate with new releases of WordPress. This could take the worry and problem out of upgrading.
- Easier video embeds that mean you can simply paste a URL by itself line and have it magically flip it into the right embed code, with Oembed assist for YouTube, Every day Movement, Blip.television, Flickr, Hulu, Viddler, Qik, Revision3, Scribd, Google Video, Photobucket, PollDaddy, and WordPress.television (and extra within the subsequent launch).
2.9 gives the smoothest trip but due to quite a few enhancements underneath the hood and extra refined enhancements you’ll start to understand when you’ve been across the block a number of instances. Right here’s only a sampling:
- We now have
rel=canonicalassist for higher web optimization.
- There’s automated database optimization assist, which you’ll be able to allow in your
wp-config.phpfile by including
- Themes can register “publish thumbnails” which permit them to connect a picture to the publish, particularly helpful for magazine-style themes.
- A brand new
commentmetadesk that permits arbitrary key/worth pairs to be connected to feedback, identical to posts, so now you can broaden vastly what you are able to do within the remark framework.
- Customized publish sorts have been upgraded with higher API assist so you’ll be able to juggle extra sorts than simply publish, web page, and attachment. (Extra of this deliberate for 3.0.)
- You may set customized theme directories, so a plugin can register a theme to be bundled with it or you’ll be able to have a number of shared theme directories in your server.
- We’ve upgraded TinyMCE WYSIWYG enhancing and Simplepie.
- Sidebars can now have descriptions so it’s extra apparent what and the place they do what they do.
- Specify class templates not simply by ID, like earlier than, however by slug, which can make it simpler for theme builders to do customized issues with classes — like publish sorts!
- Registration and profiles are actually extensible to mean you can accumulate issues extra simply, like a consumer’s Twitter account or every other fields you’ll be able to think about.
- The XML-RPC API has been prolonged to permit altering the consumer registration choice. We fastened some Atom API attachment points.
- Create customized galleries with the brand new embrace and exclude attributes that mean you can pull attachments from any publish, not simply the present one.
- Once you’re enhancing recordsdata within the theme and plugin editors it remembers your location and takes you again to that line after you save. (Thank goodness!!!)
- The Press This bookmarklet has been improved and is quicker than ever; give it a strive for on-the-fly running a blog from wherever you might be on the web.
- Customized taxonomies are actually included within the WXR export file and imported accurately.
- Higher hooks and filters for excerpts, smilies, HTTP requests, consumer profiles, creator hyperlinks, taxonomies, SSL assist, tag clouds, query_posts and WP_Query
All of this and extra is mirrored within the over 500 tickets, bugs, and enhancements that WP developers in this release cycle.
This launch included code from over 140 contributors, right here’s everybody we have been in a position to establish: aaroncampbell (Aaron Campbell), abackstrom (Adam Backstrom), aldenta (John Ford), alexkingorg (Alex King), [amilanov], antonylesuisse (Antony Lesuisse), apeatling (Andy Peatling), apokalyptik (Demitrious Kelly), arena (André Renaut), batmoo (Mohammad Jangda), Ben Dunkle, BenBE1987, Benjamin Flesch, bookchiq (Sarah Lewis), brianwhite, c0nstruct, caesarsgrunt (Caesar Schinas), CalebKniffen (Caleb Kniffen), chrisbliss18, chrisscott (Chris Scott), christoph179, coffee2code (Scott Reilly), [cross country flight], Curioso, davecpage (Dave Page), dcole07 (Dan Cole), dd32 (Dion Hulse), demetris (Δημήτρης Κίκιζας), Denis-de-Bernardy, dj-wp, dwright, eddieringle (Eddie Ringle), error (Michael Hampton), ewestp, fabifott, filosofo (Austin Matzko), greenshady (Justin Tadlock), gsnedders/link92 (Geoffrey Sneddon), hailin (Hailin Wu), hakre, hanilovesme, Harald Nesland, harrym, holizz (Tom Adams), ikonst, jacobsantos (Jacob Santos), janeforshort (Jane Wells), jamescollins (James Collins), jdub (Jeff Waugh), jeff_ (Jean-François “Jeff” VIAL), jeremyclarke (Jeremy Clarke), JeremyVisser (Jeremy Visser), jikamens, jmulley, Joern_W, johanee (Johan Eenfeldt), johnbillion (John Blackbourn), johnjamesjacoby (John James Jacoby), johnjosephbachir (John Joseph Bachir), JonathanRogers, joostdevalk (Joost de Valk), Jose Carlos Norte, josephscott (Joseph Scott), junsuijin, kevinB (Kevin Behrens), kometbomb, lilyfan (IKEDA Yuriko), lloydbudd (Lloyd Budd), [lostinlafayette], madhyde, MattyRob, mdawaffe (Michael Adams), Mittineague, miqrogroove, morfiusx, mrmist (David McFarlane), mtdewvirus (Nick Momrik), mysz, nacin (Andrew Nacin), nanochrome, nao (Naoko McCracken), nathanrice (Nathan Rice), nbachiyski (Николай Бачийски), niallkennedy (Niall Kennedy), nickohrn (Nick Ohrn), ninjaWR (Ryan Murphy), noel (Noël Jackson), Otto42 (Samuel Wood), pairg, peaceablewhale (Franklin Tse), prettyboymp (Michael Pretty), ProDevStudio, ramiy, redsweater (Daniel Jalkut), ruslany, sambauers (Sam Bauers), scribu, Sewar, Simek, simonwheatley (Simon Wheatley), sirzooro (Daniel Frużyński), sivel (Matt Martz), skeltoac (Andy Skelton), snakefoot, stephanreiter (Stephan Reiter), strider72 (Stephen Rider), taco1991, takayukister (Takayuki Miyoshi), tellyworth, tenpura, usermrpapa, utkarsh, Viper007Bond, vladimir_kolesnikov (Vladimir Kolesnikov), VoxPelli (Pelle Wessman), [voyou1], wahgnube, waltervos, westonruter (Weston Ruter), wnorris (Will Norris), x
enlab (Eric Marden), yoavf (Yoav Farhi). Wowza!
2.9 has been an thrilling growth cycle, and I need to say it has whetted our urge for food for 3.0, which is coming subsequent (most likely this spring) and can embrace on the very least the merge of MU with the WordPress core, and a brand new default theme. We will’t wait to start out engaged on it. However first, some Carmen McRae tunes and a beer. Be a part of us! 🙂
(After you improve, in fact!)
I hope everyone seems to be having an exquisite vacation season.