I’m thrilled to announce that Model 2.3 “Dexter” of WordPress is now ready for the world. This launch consists of native tagging assist, plugin replace notification, URL dealing with enhancements, and rather more. This launch is called for the nice tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon.
The complete workforce is de facto happy with this launch, and I’m blissful that that is our second on-time launch below our new development schedule. The grand experiment of a extra agile WordPress with vital options within the fingers of customers extra typically is working. I might write a weblog publish about every new function, however I’ll attempt to be temporary:
- Native tagging assist lets you use tags along with classes in your posts, in case you so select. We’ve included importers for the Final Tag Warrior, Jerome’s Key phrases, Easy Tags, and Bunny’s Technorati Tag plugins so in case you’ve already been utilizing a tagging plugin you’ll be able to carry your information into the brand new system. The tagging system can be wicked-fast, so your host received’t thoughts.
- Our new replace notification lets when there’s a new launch of WordPress or when any of the plugins you utilize has an replace accessible. It really works by sending your weblog URL, plugins, and model info to our new
api.wordpress.orgservice which then compares it to the plugin database and tells you whats the most recent and biggest you should use.
- We’ve cleaned up URLs a bunch in a function we name canonical URLs which does issues like implement your no-www desire, redirect posts with modified slugs so a hyperlink by no means goes dangerous, redirect URLs that get minimize off in emails on much like the right publish, and rather more. This helps your customers, and it additionally helps your SEO, as search engines like google like for every web page to be accessible in a single canonical location. More info here.
- Our new pending evaluation function will probably be nice for multi-author blogs. It permits authors to submit a publish for evaluation by an editor or administrator, the place earlier than they’d simply have to save lots of a draft and hope somebody observed it.
- There’s new superior WYSIWYG performance (we name it the kitchen sink button) that lets you entry some options of TinyMCE that have been beforehand hidden.
You’ll discover that two of these options are straight out of the most-voted for ideas list. That’s simply the consumer dealing with stuff, in case you’re a developer you’ll be interested by:
- Full and full Atom 1.0 assist, together with the publishing protocol.
- We’re utilizing the brand new jQuery which is “800% sooner.”
- Behind the user-facing tags system is a very kickass taxonomy system, which provides a ton of flexibility. It’s in all probability the most important schema improve since model 1.5.
- The importers have been revamped to be extra reminiscence environment friendly, and now you can add an importer by means of a plugin.
- By way of hooks and filters now you can override the update system, the dashboard RSS feeds, the feed parser, and tons greater than you may in 2.2.
- The brand new
$wpdb->put together()means of doing SQL queries.
- Lastly there have been over 351 tickets in Trac closed for this release, with over 100 folks contributing. That is the polish, the a whole lot of tiny bug fixes and options that make WordPress what it’s.
You’ll be able to view the Codex for more information about the release and a few screenshots. And naturally the place to download is always the same. Earlier than you improve you might wish to check out our Preparing for 2.3 post and the list of compatible plugins on the Codex.
Various persons are internet hosting improve events around the globe, including myself in San Francisco. In case you are let me know and I’ll market it on my weblog.